Situated on Australia's south-east coast, Sydney is the country's largest city and is said to be one of the most attractive. Built on hills surrounding the weaving waters of Sydney Harbour, Sydney boasts some of Australia's most famous landmarks including the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.
Sydney offers over 70 harbours and ocean beaches including the famous and iconic Bondi Beach which sees thousands of locals and tourists flock here in the summer months.
Entertainment in Sydney are said to be first class with an array of world-class theatres, museums and galleries spread across the city including the Art Gallery of NSW, Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Opera House and the Lyric Theatre at Star City Casino.
Sydney's CBD is a shopper's paradise with a number of department stores, one of a kind boutiques and designer fashions. The Strand Arcade boasts many Australian designer boutiques with the likes of Bettina Liano, Alannah Hill, Fleur Wood, Leona Edmiston, Zimmerman, Akira and Manning Cartel.
The Rocks sits just north of the CBD and is the perfect blend of old and new in Sydney with the cobbled streets lined with beautiful buildings, shops, pubs and restaurants. Each Saturday and Sunday this historic section of Sydney comes alive with the weekend markets when a selection of quaint stalls pop up selling gifts and delicious foods.
If you're looking to escape the city to explore the Southern Coast of New South Wales, base yourself at Mantra Wollongong, just an hour and a half drive from Sydney, and discover this unique corner of Australia.
Things to do in Sydney
- Darling Harbour
- Sydney Aquarium
- Madame Tussauds
- Powerhouse Museum
- Maritime Museum
- Sydney Opera House
- Sydney Harbour Bridge climb
- Sky Tower
- Queen Victoria Building
- Westfield Shopping Centre and Pitt Street Mall
- Open top bus tour
Sydney events not to miss
- Sydney Running Festival - September
- Bledisloe Cup - August
- NRL Grand Final - October
- Sydney Festival - January
- Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras - February-March
- Topfest - February
- Chinese New Year Festival - February
- Royal Easter Show - April
- Australian Fashion Week - May
- Sydney Writers' Festival - May
- Sydney Film Festival - June
- City To Surf - August
- Sydney Design Week - September
- Manly Jazz Festival - September-October
- Good Food Month - September-October
- Darling Harbour Latin Festival - September-October
- Sculpture By The Sea - October
- Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race - December
- New Year's Eve - December